Sunday, October 17, 2010

Being a writer and still have some privacy

I was trying to write about an affair without letting my wife know about it. I was writing about my experiences, girls’ flats, things like that.
This is what John Lennon said about the lyrics to his song Norwegian Wood. I wonder if Haruki Murakami read this citation when he wrote his book by the same title.

Here's John telling us more about how to write about private things and still keeping your secrets to yourself:

Norwegian Wood was about an affair I was having. I was very careful and paranoid because I didn't want my wife, Cyn, to know that there really was something going on outside the household. I'd always had some kind of affairs going, so I was trying to be sophisticated in writing about an affair, but in such a smokescreen way that you couldn't tell. I can't remember any specific woman it had to do with.

Here are the lyrics of Norwegian Wood:

I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me.
She showed me her room, isn't it good, norwegian wood?
She asked me to stay and she told me to sit anywhere,
So I looked around and I noticed there wasn't a chair.
I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine.
We talked until two and then she said, "It's time for bed."
She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh.
I told her I didn't and crawled off to sleep in the bath.
And when I awoke I was alone, this bird had flown.
So I lit a fire, isn't it good, norwegian wood.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails