Friday, February 29, 2008

Why do I enjoy the UCLA writer's program?

When I was a kid I had this book, how machines work, or something like that. It explained how machines work. Very smart. Anyways, I was too young to read, so I just browsed the illustrations. My favorite part of the book was a page (spread of 2 pages actually) with a big boat. The illustrated boat was cut, so you could see the inside. Now it remindes me of this film with Bill Murray, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. Anyway, I could sit there for hours, stare at that still image, meditating to it. In my mind it was alive. The girl in the room at the bottom was waiting for the guy from the hall. The couple in the room just had an argument. The empty room had a history larger than any of our lives.

I think I understood right there I wanted to write. It's the game of the mind, of the eye, of the heart. Studying scriptwriting teaches me so much about myself.

The course I take at UCLA Extension is great. They teach us the craft, and the business. I know right now I'm not in the US, and perhaps the business here is a bit different than what's happening in LA, but still. We proceed fast (unlike normal classes, where each student with a stupid question drags the class to another wasted hour). We learn everything, we communicate with each other well (the forum of the program is very good). We must do our assignments on time (dicipline is so important in this business).

The rest of my afternoon I will use to write and try to complete the 8th assignment we got: the beat sheet for the third act of our story. I have no idea yet, but writing is all a writer needs to do to find the answers.

Btw, I killed vista today, went back to xp. The first thing I did was to reinstall Celtx, the free scriptwriting software i love so much.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails