Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A good dialogue exercise for scriptwriters

Write a monologue of yourself. It should be a story taken from your life.
Then put the page aside and say the monologue out loud.
You'll find out how different things are said when they are actually SAID.

This excercise works best when practiced in a group, because the main thing that affects the way you speak is the listeners. This is why on the written monologue you probably mentioned things you didn't say when you had listeners, or maybe you said it different: maybe on the paper it was a tragedy and spoken it became a comedy. Or maybe you weren't the center of the story when you wrote the monologue, but when you said it it was all around you.

Cannes opens tomorrow and I'm so curios about Charlie Kaufman's Synecdoche NY. There are several other films that I would very much like to see, but after reading Kaufman's script for Synecdoche, I really want to see how he made it look. I was very happy when I saw the cast for the movie. It seemed accurate, though perhaps a bit too accurate (meaning, predictable). Philip Simor Hoffman, I really love this actor, but maybe this role fits him too well.

I'll have to wait, at least for a screener of some sort to come around. Probably the film will come to the cinemas in Tel Aviv only in half a year.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails