Thursday, May 22, 2008

Writing dialogue - one more tip



The pink capsule is the last thing I was able to do on photoshop before school started again. Since then I didn't touch photoshop, dreamweaver, and I miss it very much. I just received a tutorial from Lynda.com that I can't wait viewing. In the summer, I guess.

Anyways, here's a great tip for writing dialogue. We had to go and record conversations and bring it to class, so I did some eavesdroping the other night. It's hard to get the good stuff on tape if you don't have the good gear, but there are still some quite places around.

So actually this was the first good thing I've got from this writing/recording excercise: I listened. I've noticed how the world sounds, how the human voice mix with its surroundings. How in this chaos you can sometimes find a corner of order, and meaning.

The other thing I've learned was of course - how people talk. It's messy, rough, most of the times the people don't answer each other but more talk to themselves. Especially women (so i've noticed, no sexism there).

The most beautiful thing was hearing the things they don't say. Call it the subtext, internal dialogue or whatever, this is where things get interesting. Because it's not about words, or stories, it's about emotions. And emotions are mostly hidden. those two teenage boys I recorded, they found two florecent bulbs on the road and started to play with them like they were light swords from Star Wars or something. then they started to get more violent to each other, their ego controlled them. Then when I passed them and reacted (smiled at them) - their behavior changed. The one who was more afraid started to act fearless and the other one became softer.

So dialogue (and actions of course) should reflect the want and the need of the characters, even those that are not clear to the character itself. And remember, those wants and needs are changing all the time, because people react to other people's actions, and other changing situations.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails