Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My script sucks, i'm getting suicidal

I had the scriptwriting class today with my favorite teacher. She was very good, as always. we talked about subtext and we started to talk about estrangement. She also gave us back our exercises, the scenes we had to write with a dramatic event that makes things go bad. She told me that mine lacked the dramatic event, and also because the will of the character was not very clear, the result of the scene (and its peak) weren't really there.

Those are such basic elements of scriptwriting, I felt immediately very bad. I wanted to die. I felt that with all my love to scriptwriting I suck. It's all just a waste of time. Also, because she gave us the papers in the beginning of class, I was just too sad during the one and a half hours of it. It was raining outside, and i thought that maybe after all the cliche is correct and weather does reflect the inner state of the hero. Hero, I didn't really feel heroic then.

During class things became clearer. We analyzed 2 scenes that apparently had no clear subtext. But then during the analysis it was pretty clear. the mother who tells her son that dad went for a long trip: the son was one force, trying to understand where his father was. The mother was the force against him, trying to hide the truth by lying, not coping with the situation.

After class I asked my teacher if I could fix my scene and give it to her again next week. She said yes, and we talked a bit more about my scene. She said it wasn't a dramatic scene, but a scene that gives a situation, characters and moods. She said it was beautiful and interesting, but not correct for this specific assignment. I will fix it and post here the two versions.

So our next exercise is about estrangement. Anything really, the teacher didn't give us specific guidelines. I don't have an idea yet, but I really love this exercise. actually, I do have one scene I'm working on now, that might suit. It's about a girl and a barboy and lots of cream. It's about hope and despair, and it's about loneliness. I'm going to write now.

2 comments:

Max Coutinho said...

Hey Cady,

I liked your blog a lot; and the rater looks good :).

About this post: don't feel discouraged; it happens. Just see it as a learning process (which includes faillures and successes) :)!
You have my support, and I will be coming back :).

Good luck for the next class!

Cheers

http://maxcouti.blogspot.com

Kash said...

thanks for the support :)
i guess the best advice is, just keep writing. Just make sure each day brings 10 new pages, the best possible.

in the meantime, blogging is also kind of writing, and it comes very easy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails