Saturday, July 21, 2007

An armed robbery of a MiniDV tape


The worst experience ever. It was getting worse every minute. It was so bad I thought maybe I should do everyone a favour a quit film school. What a headache!

It all started before the shooting even. Sascha, the second cameraman and a co-student told me he can't make it. A few hours later I had an argument with my sound-gal (my sister) regarding the schedule. After that I was in tears, feeling like I do it all by myself, that I'm the only one who really care about the film. I felt lonely. I was afraid of this production and that never happened to me before. Not like this.

On the set everything went as planned, at least the set-up part. Then we started to shoot and things started to look bad.

The actors didn't understand the script. That's my conclusion after watching them act some story I never wrote. The actress was not too bad though, and with her I felt I could work. The actor, on the other hand, was a disaster.

Frozen, blocked. Stupid even. Yes, I had a stupid actor. He told me he was going through a hard time, splitting and getting back with his boyfriend. Hours later, in full daylight, we started to pack everything. The cameraman (who in his flat we shot) went to give a ride to make up and sound people. I stayed on the set with one assistant and the actress, who left few minutes later.

But after 2 seconds she came back, accompanied by the actor and his boyfriend. His huge, tattooed and scared, security guard with-a-pistol boyfriend. Shit. They demanded the tapes. I told the actor I will not use any of the scenes he appears, but the boyfriend told me not to talk to the actor, just to him. And that he wouldn't leave without the tapes.

I was tired. I felt like this is the first drama that happen that night. I felt sad about the whole thing. I gave him only the first tape. I wasn't even sorry. Just sad. How bad things can turn out.

Should I say I have learned my lesson? There were so many lessons to be learned there. Here I will write them down so before my next production I could read it and check myself:

1. Choose the actors carefully. Do they understand the story and their character? Are they committed? If they are not professional actors, why are they doing it? Can I trust them?
2. Choose the cameraman carefully. Does he speak the same language as me?
3. Make rehearsals.
4. Plan the location, the scene on the location, and decide on the shooting. Best to have also a story board.
5. Try to have a producer, or some dedicated assistant. Even if only for some mental support.
6. Make sure the set contains only the people who are neccessary.

For sure there are more lessons to be learned, but I'm so upset now it's too hard for me. I'm disappointed from myself. I can't think of the next production. Right now I hate everything.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails