Monday, July 23, 2007

The limits of a filmmaker


I remember Thora Birch in "American Beauty" when she said: "I, too, need order. And fucking discipline!". That's how I feel right now. A good artist is one who knows her limits. That's very true for filmmakers. The limits of our budget, of course, but not only.
What are the limits of our characters? What are the limitations of the location we chose? And most important, what is the limit that our own life puts on our film? Where is the filmmaker part of his own film?

Sometimes we don't really understand our own creation. What an absurd - we create something that is bigger than ourselves. Something that we cannot understand.

The picture above is from a short I did last year. I think one day I will reshoot it. I love the story, but it was beyond my limits then. It's a very moody film, but I know I can make it much better.

Right now my limits are my exams, my deadlines, and my life. This is what my film will have to deal with. A film is a living thing!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails