Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Deep focus filmmaker


I have a film to direct. But so far, only I know about it. I mean, only I know the film that is on the way. How do I share my perspective with my future actors? How do I explain the film to the actors? How do I know they got it right?
I love intimacy. I hate too many people on the set, I hate when too many people know the story. It seems unfair to the film itself. A film is a living thing. You need to protect it.
Filmmaker writes the script, filmmaker rewrites it. It's done. Filmmaker searches for actors, shows them the script. They say they loved it, they say the characters are interesting. They will do it, gladly. How can a filmmaker tell they really got it?
It's terrifying to find out on rehearsals that you've got the wrong actor. You already placed his face inside your film. He became the character for you. What do you do with it? Try to save it? Look for a different actor?
I hope it will not happen to me, but soon I start auditions and I will try to be as focus as a filmmaker gotta be!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails