Saturday, September 1, 2007

A film student takes a weekend class at the cinematheque

The Tel Aviv cinematheque has 10 films of Bergman on its September program. Today I got up especially at 10 O'clock to watch "A Lesson in Love". I am no Bergman expert, so I trust my school friend Dana when she told me today this is his best comedy. It was indeed funny, and I didn't feel like i was watching a film from 1954. It actually felt modern, like a Woody Allen's film (of course not the same feeling during watching the film, but perhaps the same result. could that make sense?). So far it's the Bergman I like best, but as I said I'm no expert for Bergman. After this month I might be able to say something meaningful about him.


After the film I went with another friend, Sharon, to have a coffee. I was hungry cos I was watching "A Lesson in Love" before my morning's coffee. Sharon told me she was thinking of quitting school and go to canada. But since she just splitted from her film-frick boyfriend, she might change her mind in a few days.


I rushed to the cinematheque again for a film I haven't heard about before. In the program they said it was a film known for its camera work. And that this was the movie where Tatum O'neill got her Oscar for. I was a bit upset to sit in the hall for a movie that might suck, thinking of all the great waves and cool water at the beach just 5 minutes away...But that was such a brilliant film, from the first shot (where you see tatum's sweet sad face) to the last. Great, great, great! It became over-noon one of my favourite films ever. Such a beautiful surprise, like that, suddenly on Saturday noon. Thanks Peter!
there's another film at 17:00, "Jacquot de Nantes", that i really wanted to see, and also "Nelly et Monsier Arnaud", but I wanted to spend some time outside the cinematheque. After all, there are also some life outside that needs to be lived!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails