Sunday, August 19, 2007

A filmmaker as an alegory to the topography of his state

It's not that I enjoy taking a break from reading essays for my next exam, it's just that everything I read ispire me to write. I have now a new idea for a film, which of coursae will have to wait at least until November. It's about a girl who lives with her family in the 8th floor of a working-class building. The neighbours are in a long war with her family, over a part of the flat that they believe should be theirs and not the family's. A story of a solitude in the middle of chaos and war. I thought about it after reading an essay about the characters in the israeli cinema as an allegory to the social and political background they came from. the story of the neighbours war was my life story as a kid, and i think this situation (which lasted for 11 years) made me the weird little person I am today..

In the same context, I remembered Uri Zohar's films. "Hole in the Moon" is a good one, but the picture above is from "3 days and a child", which I actually haven't seen. I only saw one scene from it and thought it was great. I think the picture above tells a lot.

back to the essays. I'm about to finish Ella Shochat's book. It's written beautifully and really tells me a lot about Israeli cinema, and Israel and Israelies at all. You never understand who you are until someone else tells you. Shochat must have such patience watching some hard films, from the begining of the cinema in palestine, films that for me are simply too boring to even try and watch them. I must thank her for that, cause she sure has some interesting things to say about them.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails