Saturday, August 4, 2007

A scriptwriting workout

I opened the weekend's paper today, Haaretz (www.haaretz.co.il), on the literature section, and there was a short story in the corner of the first page. It was very short, I'd say 100 words, and it described the moments in life of a man shutting his life down and going to bed. Very simple, but it made me think. This actually could be the exercise I've been looking for, to start thinking about my characters better.

I will write this scene for each of my characters. How they switch their life off and go to sleep. How they lay in bed, what do they see just before they fall asleep. I am very excited about this exercise, and I feel that after writing this I will meet my true characters.

Saw this great Werner Herzog film on TV yesterday, "Where the green ants dream", it's a fantastic piece that has it all: interesting and unsolved characters, truth, enigma, reality, fiction, surrealism, landscapes, time.

I will maybe write my next paper for uni about this film. I should argue why a specific film is a work of art. Shouldn't be hard with this one, but gotta be interesting.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails