Tuesday, August 7, 2007

A filmmaker in an ocean of films

"All about Eve" is a movie that I enjoy watching. It keeps surprising me, and I still enjoy finding so many references to this film in other films. Intertextuality is fun! As a film student I get to watch sometimes 5 and more films a day. So this week I've watched "All about Eve", "All about my mother" and "Opening night". What a beautiful coincidence!
I haven't thought of it thoroughly, but I think it would be interesting to compare those films in the way they present the relationship between the sexes.

In the original "All about Eve" things seems more free, liquid, it is clear that love is the real bond between two people. This love is so pure and satisfying, that it does not need anything but itself. Young Eve can't seduce Bill, simply because he loves his diva. They don't need to have a kid together as a sign for their love.

In "All about my mother" things get trickier. It's not so trivial to talk about gender, and also love is not so clear anymore. Only a child is a sign for a long-lost love. Life gets harder, much more complex. The purity of love finds no place.
I should give it more thought. I have this paper to write (film studies!!) so perhaps I could choose one of those films, I'd guess it would be "Opening Night". Why is this film is a work of art?
But before that, I must go now to the video library and take 4 other films, including the funny (so I've heard) "Disorderly Orderly". My eyes can't rest...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails